Sunday, October 13, 2013

Peter Capaldi Is Searching For His Doctor Look According To Steve Moffat

Originally published on PopWrapped.  13 October 2013.


We have had the bow tie and fez. We have had the Converse and pinstripe suit and before that, the leather jacket. To say the Doctor’s clothes are important is an understatement; they’re iconic. So what will Peter Capaldi’s 12th Doctor wardrobe look like?

Showrunner Steven Moffat doesn’t know but he trusts the Scottish actor to decide for himself. “He was texting me ‘I’m out with [the wardrobe stylist] at the moment, it’s going quite well’ and some descriptions of clothes I did not understand,” Moffat said. “I’ll just let them get on with it and it’ll be ‘yes’ or ‘no’ at the end.”
Back in August Moffat spoke more about the Doctor’s wardrobe, saying again that he thinks it’s important for the actor to ultimately choose. “We’ve discussed costume in the lightest terms, but with Matt Smith I discovered myself to be inept at costume discussions, so I tend to step away from that. I think it’s really important that the actor chooses what makes him feel like the Doctor, which is what Matt did in the end.”
He’s referring here to Smith deciding on the Doctor’s bow tie, an accessory Moffat had initially nixed.
As the oldest actor to take on the Time Lord role since the series rebooted in 2005, Capaldi may have a few additional clothing options available to him. What Culture put together a list of 10 suggested styles, including a knitted sweater and scarf, a simple suit or period costume. I love them all.
Whatever Capaldi chooses, it will set him apart from his predecessors and give Whovian cosplayers one more option.

No comments:

Post a Comment